Here Are 10 Things to Know If You Need Tax Return Information From a Previously Filed Tax Return

Here are 10 things to know if you need federal tax return information from a previously filed tax return.

If you are our client relax and ask us for a copy. Otherwise

  1. Get a record of your past tax returns, also referred to as transcripts. IRS transcripts are often used to validate income and tax filing status for mortgage applications, student and small business loan applications, and during tax preparation.
  2. Transcripts are free and are available for the current and past three tax years. Note: There is a “show all +” expand button below the online tax account transcript type that may provide additional tax years you need.
  3. You can print your transcripts by going to .This process should take less than 15 minutes.The IRS has increased security on this site and you will need the following information to sign up.
    1. Your SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from your latest tax return.
    2. Access to your email account.
    3. Your personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan.
    4. A a mobile phone with your name on the account.
  4. A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. It does not reflect any changes made after the return was filed.
  5. A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after you filed your tax return. This transcript shows basic data including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.
  6. To request either type of transcript online, go to and use the online tool called Order A Transcript. To order by phone, call 800-908-9946 and follow the prompts in the recorded message. You can also request your transcript using your smartphone with the IRS2Go mobile phone app.
  7. To request a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ tax return transcript through the mail, complete IRS Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript. Businesses, partnerships and individuals who need transcript information from other forms or need a tax account transcript must use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return. Forms 4506, 4506-T and 4506T-EZ are available at or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
  8. If you order online or by phone, you should receive your tax return transcript within five to 10 days from the time the IRS receives your request. Allow 30 calendar days for delivery of a tax account transcript if you order by mail.
  9. If you need an actual copy of a previously filed and processed tax return, it will cost $50 for each tax year you order. Complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the IRS address listed on the form for your area. Copies are generally available for the current year and past six years. Please allow 60 days for delivery.
  10. The fee for copies of tax returns may be waived if you are in an area that is declared a federal disaster by the President. Visit, keyword “disaster,” for more guidance on disaster relief.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

For security, use of Google's reCAPTCHA service is required which is subject to the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

If you agree to these terms, please click here.